Friday 23 September 2011

Two Busy Days

Hi everyone,

The past two days were quite busy. We were on the move for ten hours each day, and we screened over two hundred people in total. Yesterday, I did visual acuity for everybody, and today I worked at the dispensing table. The sun was hot and I was glad to be in the shade.

Before I came to Ghana, I had to do training for Unite For Sight. One of the modules taught me about caregivers for blind people in the Third World. All too often, blind adults are cared for by younger members of the family. When a child is given the responsibility of caring for an older adult, it makes it difficult for him or her to attend school. Pictured below is a child leading a blind adult by a walking stick:


Where will this child be in ten years from now? Will he be able to obtain a proper education to secure meaningful employment? If his sole responsibility is to care for his blind relative, his development will be hindered by the burden. By intervening and providing eye care to this woman, and other people like her, the hope is to break this negative poverty trap.

The week went by really fast, and I'm glad it's time to kick back and relax! I'll check in again soon.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment