Thursday 15 September 2011

Another Day in the OR

Hi everyone,

One particular thing I appreciate about Ghana is the concept of elastic time. Coming from someone who's chronically late for most things, it's nice to know that Ghanaians don't put a high emphasis on promptness. The driver said he'd be here for 9:30am, but he didn't arrive until 11:00am. Then we drove to the eye clinic and waited around for another hour.

We observed fifteen surgeries at a different eye clinic to last week, however the environment was less pleasant. Instead of the upbeat African music accompanying the doctor while he worked, the only thing we heard today was the shrill hum of the electric tweezers. The surgeries went at a slower pace, but I had more involvement this week. My task was to drop anesthesia into the patients' eyes, and patch them up after surgery.

I apologize for not taking pictures today, but I'll be sure to take more soon.

Have a good night!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment