Monday 19 September 2011

Jungle, Jungle

Hi everybody,

I went on a road trip through the jungle and visited a village three hours away. Upon arrival, the other volunteers and I were treated like celebrities by the community pre-schoolers. They excitedly swarmed around us and chanted, "Aubruni, aubruni, aubruni." (White person). Stephen, a fellow volunteer, gave the kids a soccer ball to play with, and they were quite happy with their new gift.


We screened upwards of a hundred people in the village today. I was the go-to guy for visual acuity testing. English wasn't highly spoken in the village, so communication was difficult again. Hand gestures and facial expressions go a long way though.

For supper, I had rice and fish. Fish here is markedly different from fish at home. Instead of being serving a fillet, you get the whole package: meat, skin, head, and bones!

After a long day of driving and volunteering, it's finally time to relax. I get to celebrate my birthday in Ghana tomorrow, so that should be interesting.

Have a great night.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment