Monday 5 September 2011

Travelling to Cape Coast

Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to get accustomed to my new environment. The first couple of days were difficult because I wasn't used to seeing poverty. Although I had an idea of what to expect before I came, it was still shocking to see it in real life.

I had a very exciting day yesterday! The three other volunteers and I took a van to Cape Coast. The drive was a bit over two hours, and we got to see the country side. Cape Coast is the former capital of Ghana, and it used to be a big slave trading port. We visited the castle where the slaves used to be held before they were shipped off to the Americas. The castle included a small museum which documented the slave trade. As a history nut, I found Cape Coast to be very interesting!

The following photo is of the view from the castle:


We left Cape Coast and drove to Kakum National Park. We went for a canopy walk 30 metres above the trees. It was kind of freaky because one of the walkways actually broke last week. We had a meal at the park and drove back to the hotel in Accra.

All together, the full day only cost roughly $45!

It was good to kick back for the weekend, because we are going to be busy with outreaches in the coming week!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment