Thursday 8 September 2011

Starting to Make Sense

Good evening,

I had a What am I doing here? moment yesterday. The tasks I do on outreach are simple, the villages are run down and depressing, and it's difficult adapting to the "developing" environment. My mindset all changed today when I saw the following patient:


He was an eighteen-month-old child with congenital cataracts in both eyes. If it were not for the surgery he received from Unite For Sight, he would have eventually went blind.

I observed a total of forty eye surgeries today. Dr Clarke, the ophthalmologist, was kind, efficient, and open to answering all my questions about the surgeries. It's not every day you can sit alongside a medical professional and watch them work their magic!

Most of the people who came through the operating room today were elderly people with cataracts.

I definitely wasn't wondering What am I doing here? today, because I was too busy watching people have their vision restored. The money you donated and the 50/50 tickets you bought helped make that happen!

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment