Friday 30 September 2011

Only Africa

A final hello from Ghana,

If this is your first time visiting the blog, I welcome you.

It has always been a dream of mine to volunteer in Africa. The months of arduous preparation were most definitely worth the effort. I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to everyone for your support. Notably, I would like to thank Carol Pippy and the congregation at St. Andrew's United Church, Vernon Bridge for your kind donations. And I can't forget about Mom and Dad; I wouldn't be here without you.

I was partially inspired to volunteer in Africa by hearing the stories of other people. Local Islanders who have ventured South and shared their experiences, such as Kent Myers and Amy Somers, made me want to do the same. I would be happy to give a presentation to anyone who would want to listen when I return home in December.

We each contain the propensity to change the world for the better. You don't have to take drastic financial measures and travel to a far off land.  The simple action of donating money to a Non-Governmental Organization is a great way to make a difference. For instance, $50 can provide a vital sight restoring surgery to a person living in poverty. I can attest to the fact that these surgeries improve the lives of people! If you liked what you read this month, consider donating to Unite For Sight: http://www.uniteforsight.org/how-to-help.

If you want to make a positive difference to the lives of people living in poverty, educate yourself and do what you can. Somalia is one of the worst places in the world right now. Ten million people are devastated by the famine in the Horn of Africa. Be a hero and donate to The Humanitarian Coalition of Canada: http://humanitariancoalition.ca/.

This holiday season, why not buy a gift for a person in the Third World? Improving health and education are the best means of reducing poverty in developing countries. World Vision has a brilliant catalog of meaningful gifts you may want to consider: http://www.worldvision.ca/Pages/welcome.aspx.

This has been an unforgettable month. Africa will always be in the corner of my mind. I hope to return again someday, but in the meantime I have a flight to catch to London. I am excited to begin my second year of optometry training next week. Working alongside the eye care professionals in Africa reassured me that I made the right career choice.

Thank you again for following along, and I look forward to talking with you in the future.

Adam Drake

No comments:

Post a Comment