Wednesday 21 September 2011

Pig Skin and Broken Vans

Howdy from Ghana,

I began the day with another plate of rice, noodles, and fish for breakfast. Then the outreach team and I departed for the village. We drove three hours through rural Ghana. I listened to my iPod and watched the palm trees and small communities pass by. Aside from the infrastructure, it's not that different from home. I still find comfort in seeing the red soil.

My job today was to operate the dispensing table. After the patients sat with the optometrist, they came to me to receive their medication and/or glasses. We saw exactly 100 people today, and it went quite smoothly.

Pictured below is the village we visited:


The van broke down on the drive back, and we sat on the side of the road for an hour. I barely noticed the time go by! Time is more fluid here, and less compartmentalized than at home.

Lian and I went back to that African restaurant where I had the scary crab stew last week. A word of caution: Don't order the cheapest thing on the menu unless you know what it is. I was unknowingly served a bowl of spiced pig skin for supper. Let's just say I was glad Lian got plantains and beans, because we were able to share.

Time to rest up for another busy day tomorrow.

Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment