Sunday 11 September 2011

Time Off

Good day,

I'm not sure if any of you ever got frightened by the meal you were eating, but it happened to me last night. I ordered some local cuisine, and the waiter became upset with me when I began eating with my knife and fork. He encouraged me to dig in with my hands, like a true African. So there I was, foraging through my stew, when all of a sudden I discovered something odd at the bottom of the bowl. I pulled it up to the top, and jumped back in my seat when I saw it was a crab. The other volunteers laughed at me, and we kept on eating.

I witnessed a world of difference this week, so it was good to kick back and relax this weekend. Seeing the living conditions in the villages took a lot out of me, and I experienced a small culture shock. I didn't think volunteering in Africa would be this challenging, nor this rewarding. What you lose in comfort and familiarity, you gain in perspective and experience.

Pictured below are me and the other volunteers: Kevin, Lian, myself, and Jacie. We were a pretty solid team this past week, but Jacie left yesterday.


I hope you all had a good weekend. I'll be sure to give more updates in the coming days.

Peace,

Adam

1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam...thanks for sharing your experiences in Ghana with us. You will probably have more followers after the blogspot address was in the bulletin today. Enjoy your time there and I look forward to hearing more over the next few weeks. Take care...

    ReplyDelete